Classic Bilge: Cindy Williams & Military Pay

Apr 14 2009

Published by at 9:55 am under Viral Email Fact Check

True article, real response, but the intro contains falsehoods…

BotB Verdict

close_enough
Average Number of Times Received Daily at MOAA: 1

Summary

An article from 2000 that caused quite a stir in the military community continues to come up from time to time. The article, entitled ‘Our GIs Earn Enough, was written by Cindy Williams, a columnist for the Washington Times can be read here.

The Most Common Iteration

This is an Airman’s response to Cindy Williams’ editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America. On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members’ way this year — citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

“Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, “Our GIs earn enough” and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I’m wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service)and my bank account.

Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum… I’m sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military’s lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN ; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.

Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full “deployment experience.” As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they’ll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone obviously they’ve been squandering the “vast” piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you’re actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren’t enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready- to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won’t nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opened piece.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can’t offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. THANK YOU.

Origins

The email that spread quickly in 2000 and has continued to appear sporadically incorrectly referred to Mrs. Williams (a former Congressional Budget Office analyst that is now with MIT) as the actress from Laverne & Shirley. There is no connection with the actress except for sharing a name. The airman quoted as being the author of the response is correctly attributed to Michael Bragg.

Evaluation & Comment

The article in question was understandably disturbing given the trials and tribulations of members of the military, and the response was dead on in terms of capturing the emotional response to it. But the email that continues to be spread does not mention that this happened in 2000.

MOAA’s president at the time (actually it is so old that it was TROA’s president) responded with the following letter to the editor:

January 13, 2000

Letters to the Editor
Washington Post

Dear Editor:

The challenge in responding to former CBO budget analyst Cindy Williams’ column of January 12 (“Our GIs Earn Enough”) is not deciding what to say, but where to begin. Like most documents prepared by budget officials over the last two decades to justify the cuts that led our armed forces into the current retention and readiness crisis, it selectively glossed over several core issues.

Ms. Williams’ assertion that there is no relationship between military and civilian pay levels is wrong. At the advent of the all-volunteer force, military pay tables were restructured to provide what was considered reasonable comparability with pay scales of federal civilian and private sector workers. In theory, this relationship was to be maintained by annual increases matching private sector pay growth. The latter is measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Employment Cost Index (ECI), the same private sector pay measure the government uses for all other purposes.

But far more often than not, military (and federal civilian) raises have been capped below that standard. After years of pay caps and cuts in other benefits caused a retention crisis in the late 1970s, the “reasonable comparability” was restored with two double-digit raises in 1981 and 1982 that made up the cumulative military pay raise gap since the start of the all-volunteer force. But the lesson of the 70s wasn’t learned very well. Over the next 17 years, military raises matched private sector pay growth in 3 years, were capped below the ECI in 12, and fractionally exceeded the ECI in 2 years. With the cumulative gap having grown to 13.5% in 1999 and masses of servicemembers voting with their feet, Congress approved a series of annual raises that will be one-half of a percentage point per year above the ECI through 2006. Not overly generous, but a very welcome change for the troops after years of short shrift.

Interestingly, Ms. Williams seems to have no problem accepting the validity of the ECI for future years, contending nothing “explains why [servicemembers'] future raises should exceed civilian wage growth.” If she accepts comparisons with the ECI for the future, how can all the past years of caps be dismissed?

Her comparisons of pay levels also ignore other key factors, despite grudging admission that incoming servicemembers considerably exceed national averages in educational and aptitude achievement. But she fails to acknowledge how servicemembers are asked to assume responsibility for vastly expensive resources, and team leadership — sometimes with staggering life-or-death decision-making responsibilities — at an early age.

Most important, Ms. Williams’ discussion inadequately addresses the fundamental issue the military pay and benefits package must seek to offset — the extraordinary demands and sacrifices inherent in a career of uniformed service. She dismisses this by citing other civilian occupations that may entail relocation or danger. But such comparisons are superficial at best; there is no legitimate comparison with the working conditions of any private sector job.

Servicemembers work long hours (deployed members are on duty 24 hours a day) without any overtime. Their business trips are to places like Bosnia and Iraq and Somalia where they live in tents and people shoot at them. They are subject to extended family separations, forced relocations every few years that disrupt spousal careers and children’s education, and sacrifice personal freedoms (such as saying “no” to your boss without going to jail or being able to quit whenever you want) that other Americans take for granted. Military people can’t serve into their 60′s as civilians do because the law and military readiness won’t let them. They face an “up or out” promotion system that continually winnows out those who fail to keep competing successfully against their ever-improving peers. Roughly 95 percent are forced out of service in their 40s and must start second careers in mid-life — often at the bottom, competing with youngsters who don’t have children in college and are willing to work for less.

Ms. Williams is correct that some of these issues need to be addressed as well. Based on similarly rationalizing analyses by other savings-minded budgeteers, servicemembers have been asked to do more and more with fewer and fewer people, less and less equipment and funding, while enduring pay cap after pay cap for almost two decades. Clearly, pay caps have not been the only pothole in the long, sad road to the services’ current retention and readiness problems.

But pay raise comparability isn’t some esoteric analytical concept; it’s a simple matter of fairness. It isn’t a recruiting issue; it’s a retention issue. Nobody claims that restoring pay comparability is the whole solution to the military readiness crisis staring the country in the face.

But there can be no solution without it.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Nelson, Lt Gen, USAF (Ret)
President
The Retired Officers Association

Further Reading/Tools

Original Washington Times Article
Urban Legends Page
Snopes Page

You Can Help

Remember that forwarding a message you read but are unsure of without checking the available resources helps contribute to the Bilge. Help us battle it, and if you haven’t seen us write one of them up, email it to us here.

MOAA Online Help Center

MOAA members and registered guests can now access the Member Service Center’s Online Help Center by visiting here.

34 Responses to “Classic Bilge: Cindy Williams & Military Pay”

1. Patricia Kienholzon 11 Jun 2009 at 10:59 am

Ms. Williams:

Before I get into this I would like to suggest that you are probably paid three or four times what you are worth and believe your salary should be cut immediately.

How dare you suggest that the military does not need a pay raise. If you are reading this you can thank a soldier because it is his defense of this country that keeps us free.

You must be some kind of an idiot.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Lest you think otherwise, there are no military personnel in my immediate family. My father, now long deceased, was in the Navy, as was my brother. But I am not so stupid that I don’t realize that this nation would not be free were it not for the military.

You owe them an abject apology, you moron!

2. Matthew LoFiegoon 18 Jun 2009 at 5:25 pm

Well said. I think this is one of the most controversial articles ever written about the military, and hopefully Mrs. Williams has certainly received enough feedback such as yours that she understands how ridiculous her statements were.

3. sid cavanaughon 26 Aug 2009 at 5:39 am

Before I start I know you will not answer my question!!!!!

Why don’t you join the military then rewrite your views. Just go on one fire fight……I’m a Vietnam Vet that made success in the business world, however the hardest job I ever had was having bullets flying all around me almost daily. What is that worth?

Sid Cavanaugh
    2/20 ARA
    2st Cav

4. John Parzialeon 17 Oct 2009 at 6:20 pm

Cavanaugh, LoFiego & Kienholz:

Folks, let it go!

The original OpEd column was (i) written in 2000; (ii) the author was not then in any government position to have any influence in the matter; (iii) was an opinion piece, not a policy statement from the government; and most importantly, (iv) the military got the raise!

Here it is 2009 and you are all now getting angry over something written in 2000. Chill! Her opinion didn’t have any influence in the matter.

Why waste the energy over an opinion piece written nearly 10 years ago opposing an action that had zero influence over the matter being discussed.

Ultimately, we won. So, why waste the time, energy and heartburn?

5. Matthew LoFiegoon 18 Oct 2009 at 8:22 am

Yes, that’s why it is called a classic. And why waste the time? Because we still receive this email all the time, and since writing the article we have had a convenient place to give people for more background and to calm them down.

6. Wayne S. Lester USMC (Ret)on 28 Oct 2009 at 9:25 am

Greetings To All,

After having read the young airmans response to the article written by Cindy Williams, and all other data on this subject avail to me since the posting of the airmans response to Ms. Williams article, my conclusion is similar to that of Lt Gen Nelson’s response.

Now giving just due to those who would say that being angry over some article written almost a decade ago, which pays no dividends. Let us be “clear”, there are many people in our great nation who do not have a clue as to what it takes to maintain the security of our great nation, which allows people like Ms. Williams, and those who would defend what she has had published in her column in the first place. All Americans have rights, and maintaining these constitutional rights comes with a price tag, which all of our nations military Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard personnel know all too well.

You see people, just because you have the right to voice your opinion on any given matter, does not mean that you must, or should you do so. As a Marine, I have often wanted to speak out, but I had learned very early on in my career, that I am accountable for the short and long term affects of my actions and any comments I might make, and to whom. Ms. Williams may thought she was not accountable for her actions and comments, or has never truly grasped this concept, to which she is not alone on this score. There are many people in and of our great nation that are in this catigory, and more people standing by to join them, or simply take their place.

Sincerely,

Wayne S. Lester
    USMC Retired
    “Semper Fi”

7. Matthew LoFiegoon 29 Oct 2009 at 6:48 pm

Very well put, sir. Thank you for sharing your point of view. One that I fear is all too correct.

8. Rogeron 29 Oct 2009 at 11:34 pm

Sir,
    I realize this response is perhaps late relative to the subject, none-the-less I find myself having to interject my heart felt thoughts. First, thank you A1C Michael and Michael A, Nelson for your insightful commentary to such an outlandish article by Mrs. Williams from the Washington Times Dated Jan 2000. I am a retired Air Force Sergeant who is proud to have served my country. I entered the military not for any patriotic reasons but only to ensure my one year old daughter and my wife who was expecting our second child had their medical needs meet. I can tell you from first hand experience serving in the military as an enlisted member does not pay a lot to support a family of four. At times we found ourselves living from pay period to pay period. We did not live beyond our means but in some case if base housing is not available and you are required to live off base money gets tight. I loved being in the military and have no regrets and would do 24 years again if given the opportunity. Through all my schools, deployments, remotes, and Temporary duty assessments I spent close to eight years of the twenty-four away from my family, that’s one-third of my time in the service I was apart from my family. This is time away from my wife and kids I can not get back. My son is a medic in the Army who served 18 months in Iraq and my son-in-law is in the Army who is now station in Afghanistan. Tell their wife’s they get paid too much. I would like to ask Mrs. Williams, what price does she put on the cost of freedom?
    V/R
    Roger P. Martinez, USAF, (Ret)

9. Pat Perezon 04 Nov 2009 at 1:55 pm

Mr. Parziale, in as much as the article may have been written nearly 10 years ago, obviously, it still strikes a (raw) nerve in many service members, active or otherwise. Like Mr. Lester, USMC (Ret.), Lt. Col. (Ret) Nelson, AIC Michael Bragg & others on this posting, I served in the military (USMC) and know first hand what they are talking about. It isn’t about anger, Mr. Parziale, it’s about setting the record straight.

So much about the military has been misunderstood through the years. For instance, Vietnam. Have you forgotten, Mr. Parziale, how service members were treated??

In my opinion it is NEVER a waste of energy to EDUCATE ignorants such as Ms. Cindy Williams & obviously you as well. Last, but least, I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes”!

Semper Fi to all my brothers & sisters still serving as well as those who have served!!

Pat Perez
    USMC (Ret)

10. Al Davison 30 Nov 2009 at 2:14 pm

Did ms. Williams ever give a reply to her irresponsible claim? Or did she ignore the response to her amazingly ignorant column that was filled with mistakes? I’m certain there was more than one reply to her skewed facts. Did she hide behind her position and just put cotton in her ears?

11. MAJ Shane Liptakon 06 May 2010 at 11:59 pm

@ John Parziale,

Newsflash… The real Dr. Williams (http://web.mit.edu/ssp/people/williams/faculty_williams.html)
    still continues to advise the government in her role as MIT Principal Research Scientist and has many connections in the Defense and CBO arenas. She just testified before Congress on 23FEB10 and still has the same attitude about benefits and compensation. Don’t underestimate her influence as equal to some fly-by-night nut. Her views must constantly be challenged, especially in this age where all cuts are seen as possible courses of action. I challenged the last QRMC commissions’ similar ridiculous recommendations (http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/409192893/m/4580039691001) which were based on junk science at best and encourage all veterans and MOAA members to do the same against these types of destructive proposals.

12. John Hunton 05 Aug 2010 at 8:53 pm

When was the last time you served your country in combat and put your buddies in a body bag???? You can take your article and shove it!!! Oh, by the way I was a sniper.

/mod edit – shove it seems sufficient.

13. JacK Vanceon 15 Nov 2010 at 9:31 pm

MS Cindy Williams

You are now cleaning out your desk, or at least should be looking for boxes for packing. What on earth could have prompted you to insult, degrade and humilate the forces that have been diying daily for people’ who are not in this country or even ciitiizens and for citizens of this Great country.
    Your writings concerning the pay of our servicemen and women is appaling. If you felt compelled to write about;underserving, over or excessive salaries of those in service to the citizines of the “United Sttates of America” How could you not write first’ about the Gross Salary and benefits the politiicians and their families receive.
    The time you have in this position, or any goverment poaition had better be less than 30 days or I will personallly launch such a movement of which few have been a part of; if it is not, at this moment commenced.
    I am so sorry that your lack of understanding and reality of life have been so slight the you exhabited such calliousness and expressed such poor judgement in you writing.
    Good bye and may you forgive yourself , as I am sure we in time will forgive you.
    Communication leads to Resolution, which may not allways be of mutual benefit, but it can and should be with righteous intent

14. Tonyon 02 Dec 2010 at 4:54 am

Uh, does anyone else notice that this chick thinks we are getting a 13% pay raise? I wish!!! We are in fact getting a 1.3% raise. THAT’S ONE-POINT-THREE!!!!

15. Ken Hartleyon 27 Dec 2010 at 12:10 pm

Ms. Williams,

Why are you wasting your education? You have no experience in the military like many of your political partners that are elected in the Courts, Senate, House, and in the White House arenas.

Although your writing is 10 years old it is a printing that comes to life every now and then to remind military people that there are many civilians who are “want to be” soldiers, but when the time was keen for them to join, volunteer, sign up, they ran the other direction.

Now that people who have read your writing and seen how ignorant you really are of people, especially military people how could anyone in their right mind pay you to write anything? If you were my employee I would have fired you for writing about a subject that you know nothing about.

Ken Hartley
    USAF 1968-1979

16. Travison 20 Apr 2011 at 8:49 am

Actually, the airman, or A1C (or E-3), makes way more than what he claims. He states that his job requires at least 3 years of experience, so that means that he has to have been in for longer than 3 years and the military pay scale, according to the official DFAS website, he earns $1,950 WITHOUT the automatic COLA (cost of living allowance) that EVERY SERVICE MEMBER RECEIVES (which is $325). So this being said, he earns at least $2,275 before taxes. if he’s married, then he earns much higher and if he’s seperated, then he gets and EXTRA $250. Where does he get off saying he earns only $1147? If he DOES earn only that much, that means he was busted down in rank and had his pay cut as required by military law in most circumstances. Another ting to think about is that if he is not in the US, he gets an extra pay bump according to his location. This so-called service member does NOT deserve an bonus simply for being a liar and probably was dishonorably discharged from the military, but still wants to claim the glory of a service member.
    One last thing, the article Cindy wrote stated that the military were getting a 4.8% increase, not 13%. Read more closely and you’ll see that it is all misconstrued. Do some research next time before judging someone based off what someone else that you have no clue on who they are posts a rebuttal.

17. George Albarranon 02 Sep 2011 at 12:17 pm

Where does Obama find these left wing Anti-American Cockroach’s?

CSM George Albarran (US Army Ret.)

18. Matton 06 Sep 2011 at 6:35 am

Considering that this was written 8 years before Obama ran for president, I don’t see the connection.

19. Thomason 24 Sep 2011 at 1:22 pm

It’s people like Ms. Williams that make this every other nation happy. Other nations love to see our downfall, and see us hating each other. Ms. Williams is clearly an over paid idiot. The high education she has recieved only shows she has book sense and no real common sense. I feel when we get the right people in these high positions that can have a say so on other people’s lives,, at least have someone that has a little bit of consideration for others. The comments made by her should throw a red flag to the FBI to check and see if she not in bed with the bad guys thats trying harm our nation because maybe she not an American. Overall,, no matter how ignorant she is, my mother always taught me to pray for people like her. So, Ms. Willams, I pray God have mercy on you for being such a bad individual. Shame on you and I know your family is embarrassed. On the other hand, you probably don’t have a care in the world pertaining to all these responses to you, do you?

20. Shannonon 24 Sep 2011 at 3:27 pm

@Travis, nowhere does he say he has been in 3 years. He says a job in the civilian sector with three years experience makes 70,000-80,000. I suggest before you make claims about people incorrectly reading the article, you yourself should read it correctly. Also before you go and assume he is some kind of scum bag airman who was in your words probably dishonorably discharged and does not deserve a bonus for being a liar, maybe you should research what year he wrote the article. I see your date posted was April of 2011 so I assume you are getting your base pay from a chart for this year. If his letter was written any time before this year his base pay would be lower.

21. SPC STRIDEon 25 Sep 2011 at 6:58 pm

1st off thank you Shannon, Travis is retarded, well put George Albarran, this issue has been a fervent one my whole life, and yes I remember Reagan – omics… I singed up as an E-4, due to civilian skills acquired…(Already trained) I get payed 1/4 of what my civilian rate was, not to mention being treated like a convict, all while trying to fill the honorable shoes of relatives before me but all that aside, this issue is about the bare dollar. If you take a calculator to my hourly rate it is $.42 an hr. after taxes. As a soldier you go where your President Orders you, and it is to the needs of your country. It seems more often than not, bad economy lead to awareness. The 90′ were filled to the brim with enlisted injustices from the top down, even if you compare officer pay with the national averages, you would be shocked. So propose this solution; cut all politicians pay 35% so the Commander-in-chief can “redistribute the wealth” to the ranks of the Forces that carry the burden of resolve, cause lets just face it, NO ONE SOLDIERS FOR FREE!

22. GM2on 25 Sep 2011 at 8:59 pm

This article is sad, I’m a profesional warfare specialist. I enlisted to serve my country. I could get a job in the civilian sector making 230,000 dollars. Instead I make barely 50,000 for the same job.

23. Rebeccaon 26 Sep 2011 at 11:42 am

Hmmmm…where to begin. I too was apalled this morning when I read this post on FaceBook…and we all know if it’s on FaceBook, it has to be true!!! I didn’t disect the Airman’s response…I know military pay has not increased very much since I was in. I am a disabled Vet and know that my monthly check hasn’t increased in a number of years. I think Your President made a remark about disabled Vets should take care of their expenses on their own…after all, they volunteered…he’s an idiot obviously…just saying.

My issue, like so many others is the disrespect we as Veterans are shown…The government slaps us in the face on a daily basis. I myself, wanted to go back to school, but since it’s been more than 10 years, I can’t use my GI bill…wasn’t told that when I got out. I can’t use my VOC-Rehab either…its been more than 12 years since I used it last…wasn’t told that either… Yet, I cannot do what I was trained to do…by the VA…go figure…

Money…or lack of money hurts all of us. Money does make the world go around and yes, it does buy happiness. If it didn’t we all wouldn’t be up in arms over this stupid womans remarks. I do feel and always have felt that the Commander in Chief should have military experience under his belt…can’t be in charge of something you know nothing about. This Cindy chick…WTH? Take a quick look at her pedigree…SHE hasn’t served and has no military experience except maybe being a military brat. Yet she has authored many books on the military…How does she even know???

So what do we do??? I sure don’t have the answers…but hey ya’all…thanks for letting me vent a little bit.

Thanks to all of you for time in time in service..present and past. WE rock!

24. Matton 01 Oct 2011 at 11:13 pm

Rebecca, thank you for your sharing your veiws, you can vent anytime. While this emal is old, this type of rhetoric seems to be on the rise lately.

25. Lorion 07 Oct 2011 at 1:16 pm

My hat is off to all those who have served in our military. I agree with Rebecca that all presidents should have some kind of practical military experience under their belts.
    My father was USAF, and my brother and husband were USMC. I am proud of them for that and disgusted by those who make comments such as Cindy Williams did.
    I grew up during the Vietnam era and still don’t understand why those soldiers were treated the way they were. They were, and remain still, my heroes.
    IMHO, the military should be our highest payed profession. After them, police, firemen, etc. Government “officials” should be at the lowest end of the spectrum so they will be forced to make their livings in the private sector and thereby not lose touch with constituents.
    I will forever be indebted to our military. Believe me when I say you are ALL covered in prayer.
    Lori Burke
    US Citizen

26. Teresaon 25 Jan 2012 at 9:36 pm

I can see that the masses got absolutely nothing out of reading the post. Not even the fact that all this was 12 years ago not right now. Just a little FYI for the masses.

Original Washington Post article, January 12, 2000 Cindy Williams was not employed by the CBO at the time of the article. She left in 1997.

Original response from Jan. 2000 had accurate basic pay info but failed to include all benefits info. The 2012 pay and allowances for an E-1 with less than 2 years stationed out of Hill AFB deployed in Afghanistan come to $3001 per month, assuming he is single. Since he’s in a war zone his tax rates are adjusted.

The President of the United States does NOT appoint the Head of the CBO, the Speaker of the House and the President pro tem of the Senate do. The appointee hires there staff.

If any of you had taken the time to read the original article by Ms. Williams you would have seen that her arguments at that time were accurate. BTW my husband was stationed at a remote station at the time the article was written so I have a little insight into what was real and what was hype from congress. It’s amazing how these things keep popping up.

27. Matthew LoFiegoon 26 Jan 2012 at 3:13 pm

Well said. These things come and go in waves. You wouldn’t believe how many ‘Obama is about to honor Jane Fonda as a Women of the Century’ emails we’ve seen floating around in just the past couple of weeks. It is almost the same exact message that first came out in 1999 about President Clinton and again nearly every year referencing President Bush. It is such a persistent viral message that there’s almost no point in debunking it anymore.

28. Letitia Kalchthaleron 16 May 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thx for information.

29. mizunogolf.busythumbs.comon 20 Nov 2012 at 8:16 pm

Fastidious replies in return of this issue with firm arguments and explaining all on the topic of that.

30. Rangutanon 25 Jan 2013 at 1:59 am

Dear Airman,
    you have not calculated all the privileges and free services you enjoy. If you add those you are earning far more than the average US-citizen and you are within the top 10% of wage earners in the WORLD! You have chosen the WRONG profession if you want to get rich. Soldiers, like clergy, nurses and social workers, are volunteers and some do not earn anything! They must work during festivities and bank holidays too. Get out of Afghanistan, you should not be there or invade/occupy other countries. The USA should cut its forces and military spending by half and spend the 25% of taxes on education and mental health for all Americans, specially Americans in Central America and Indians and the Inuit who are neglected and whose land were raided, stolen and raped by mining and corporations. Please stop your arrogance and your selfishness mister airman.
    Regards,
    RRG2013
    P.S: get a better job, you are being replaced by drones and computers!

31. [...] primarily on Facebook and through email since the early 2000′s, with incorrect attribution (I should add), but with solid foundation of insight, still resonating today because the issue still stands.  [...]

32. Ben Javieron 12 Jan 2014 at 11:39 am

I hope that old commentary by dr Williams be taken by heart by our no- service-time-in-military President and go farther than just not giving military pay raises. I retired after 20 years of naval service as a machinist mate senior chief and yes I think I personally been compensated enough. So gee Mr President,DO IT !!! Us Vietnam Vets will survive as we have survived the spits and the boos from your CLONES when we came back.

33. citizenon 06 Aug 2014 at 12:48 pm

34. cheap moving companies jacksonville flon 21 Aug 2014 at 1:47 am

What an exciting time it can be and with so
    many details to work out, it can be overwhelming too. Our trucks
    are clean burning alternative fuel, biodiesel, hundred percent recycled paper
    products. and that includes the process of safely transporting a lifetime of furniture and accessories to a new home.

Stop by my webpage – cheap moving companies jacksonville fl